GSTR 9 annual return form is a for all the regular taxpayers under GST, in which all the consolidated details are to be filed relevant to SGST, CGST and IGST transaction of the whole year. CA Portal provides all the specific details of GSTR 9 due date for the regular taxpayer form in this article. The Know the GSTR 9 due date for fy 2018 19.
Here find all the details based on the annual return form for the regular taxpayers i.e. GSTR 9 with filing procedure, format, eligibility & rules. In case if you have any doubt regarding the GST forms, you can comment in the below section and get the answers from our tax experts.
What is Form GSTR-9?
All the registered taxpayers including SEZ units and SEZ developers use Form GSTR-9 to file annual returns once in every financial year. In this form details such as details of sales and purchases, input tax credit, sales or refund claims or demand created etc.
Who Needs to file an Annual Return in Form GSTR-9?
A person who is registered as a normal taxpayer including EZ unit or SEZ developer and registered taxpayer having withdrawn from the composition scheme to normal taxpayer during the financial year has to file the Form GSTR-9.
- Form GSTR-9A can also be utilized by the Composition taxpayers to file an Annual Return.
- There is no need to file an Annual Return by Non Resident taxpayer / casual taxpayer / ISD/ OIDAR Service Providers..
Is it Necessary to File Form GSTR-9?
Yes, it’s compulsory to file Form GSTR-9 for regular taxpayers.
What are Different Sorts of Annual GST Returns?
Multiple Annual Returns Under GST:
|GSTR 9||For regular taxpayer filing GSTR-1, GSTR-2, and GSTR-3|
|GSTR 9A||For composition scheme taxpayers|
|GSTR 9B||For e-commerce businesses who have filed GSTR 8|
|GSTR 9C||For those having annual turnover cross Rs. 2 crores must have to file audit form of GSTR 9C|
- The only parliament or President’s Ordinance could extended the due date for GSTR 9, GSTR 9A, GSTR 9B & GSTR 9C. And there is No any such power provided to Commissioner or GST Council for extended the due date.
- In the case of Form GSTR-9C the taxpayer is required to get their accounts audited by a Chartered Accountant or Cost Accountant and he/she also has to submit a copy of audited annual accounts and reconciliation statements as prescribed in the section 44(2) of CGST Act.
What are the Eligibility to File Nil Form GSTR-9?
For a financial year, a Nil Form GSTR-9 can be only filed , if the person have: –
- Not made any outward supply or sale;and
- Not received any goods/ services or purchase; and
- Not having any other liability to report; and
- Not claimed any credit or refund
- Not received any order creating demand;
- Not having any pending late fee, etc.
Penalties levied by the tax Department on delayed or non-filing of GSTR 9
GSTR-9 is the annual return filing form to be filed by every taxpayer involved in business transactions. Like every other return, GSTR 9 also attracts penalties on non-filing or delayed filing by the taxpayer. The taxpayer is bound to pay Rs. 200 per day as a penalty (100 for CGST and 100 for SGST) from the date just after the due date till the returns are.
To be noted: The aggregate amount of penalty should not exceed 0.25% of the annual taxable turnover for which the penalty is imposed.
Who Should And who Shouldn’t File GSTR-9:
Taxpayers who have registrations under GST are bound to file GSTR 9. But there is a certain category of GST registered taxpayers who are exempt from filing the annual returns:
- Taxpayers registered under the Composition Scheme (rather they are required to file GSR 9A)
- Normal taxable person
- Non-resident individual
- Taxpayers who are also TDS deductors under section 51 of the GST Act.
GSTR 9 Due Date of For FY 2018-19 :
|Fy April 2018 To March 2019 (Annual Return)||30th September 2020 Extended (Official Notification)|
Note: The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs ( CBIC ) has extended the due date of FORM GSTR 9 GSTR 9C for FY 2018-19 till 30th September, 2020.
In Which Tables of Form GSTR-9, the Features are Expected to be Implemented?
Features are expected to be presented in Form GSTR-9 in the subsequent tables:
- 4.Details of advances, inward and outward supplies made when the fiscal year on which tax is payable: To enter/ view the summary of outward/ inward supplies made during the financial year
- 5. In the financial year, the details of outward supplies will be made during the financial year on which tax is not payable: To enter/ view the summary of non-taxable outward supplies made throughout the financial year
- 6. Details of ITC availed through the fiscal year: To enter/ view the summary of ITC availed during the financial year
- 7. Details of ITC reversed and Ineligible Income Tax Credit for the financial year: To enter/ view the summary of ITC reversed or ineligible for the financial year.
- 8. Other ITC associated notice: To enter/ view the ITC availed through the financial year
- 9. Details of tax paid as stated in returns filed during the financial year: To enter/ view the tax (including Interest, Late Fee, Penalty & Others) paid within the financial year.
- 10,11,12&13 Details of the previous Financial Year’s transactions reported in next Financial Year: To enter/ view the summary of transactions reported in the next financial year.
- 14. Differential tax given on account of declaration in table no. 10 & 11: To enter/ view the total tax paid on transactions reported in the next financial year.
- 15. Details of Demands and Returns: To enter/ view the particulars of demands and refunds during the monetary year.
- 16. Quantities collected from composition taxpayers, goods shipped on approval basis, considered supply by job worker: To enter/ view the summary of stocks received from Composition taxpayers, deemed supply by job worker and goods sent on the basis of permission.
- 17. HSN wise summary of Outward Supplies: To enter/ view HSN wise summary of outward supplies made during the financial year.
- 18. HSN wise summary of Inward Supplies: To enter/ view HSN wise summary of inward supplies received during the financial year.
Downloading Document-wise Details of Table 8A of Form GSTR-9
The taxpayers can download the details of Table 8A of Form GSTR-9 as the facility has provided from the portal in the format of excel. This is done through another option of ‘Document wise Details of Table 8A’ provided on the GSTR-9 dashboard from the fiscal year 2018-19 onwards. This will support the taxpayer in regulating those conditions which appear in Table 8A of Form GSTR 9, therefore facilitate filling the Form GSTR 9.
Table 8A of Form GSTR 9 is populated towards the source of papers in finished Form GSTR-1 or Form GSTR-5 concerning the supplier. Therefore, every report which is present in GSTR-2A (Table 3 & 5), will not stay available here, as records which exist in the uploaded or submitted stage in Form GSTR 1 or 5, are not valued for credit in table 8A of Form GSTR 9.
This excel download will discuss problems like:
- Figures of Input Tax Credit (ITC), as pre-populated in table 8A of GSTR-9, not resembling including the characters, as looking in their Form GSTR-2A;
- To observe the aspects of reports that are auto-populated from GSTR-2A, to table 8A of Form GSTR-9
Steps to Download: To download, navigate to Services > Returns > Annual Return > Form GSTR-9 (PREPARE ONLINE) > DOWNLOAD TABLE 8A DOCUMENT DETAILS option.
Various other crucial points:
- Once the GSTR-9 tab for filing has enabled then Excel download option will be available.
- if there is a shorter number of records than the generated excel will be downloaded as a zip file.
- Generated excel could be downloaded in various parts if the number of records is large.
- Data stored/presented in Form GSTR-1/5 will be displayed in Form GSTR-2A, but will not be displayed in the downloaded excel file of Table 8A of Form GSTR-9.
Latest News/Updates of GSTR 9 Form:
- The GST network released GSTR 9 which is an annual return form. It is used for filing the whole summary of an outer supply and gives whole data for the year. The GSTR 9 is concerning all those enrolled taxpayers beneath the goods and services tax regime and ought to opt while enrolling for the GST scheme. The GSTN administration has circulated full details covering the downloading documents required for the table 8A of the GSTR yearly return form. The information comprises the measures to download and some features based on filing and downloading.
- “The institute of cost accounts of India has requested to the ministry of finance for not increasing the threshold limit of GST Annual Return & Audit form.”
- The institute of cost accounts of India has cordially demanded ministry of finance not to extend the threshold limit for filing GST Annual Returns and Audit Form.
- By 12 Feb 2030, approx 91% to 92% of the total GST registered taxpayers have filed GSTR 9 (annual return form) and GSTR 9C (audit form), as per the stats revealed by GSTN.
- The latest Offline GSTR 9C filing utility (version 1.5) is available on the GST Portal from 24-12-2019. Taxpayers can anytime avail of the offline utility to prepare GSTR 9.
- Certain changes have been introduced in GSTR 9 and GSTR 9C that is duly given in the notification no. 56/2019 dated 14.11.2019. The changes mentioned in the notification will also be applied to the application software and offline utilities concerned with the filing of GSTR 9 and GSTR 9C last by 21 Dec 2019.
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes has once again changed the due date for GSTR 9 and 9C filing.
- Small businesses and taxpayers will be exempt from the annual compliance of GSTR 9, 9A and 9C.
Note: Filing of form GSTR-9 for those taxpayers who (are required to file the said return but) have aggregate turnover up to Rs. 2 crores made optional forthe said tax periods FY 2018-19 by GST Council 37th meeting. Read Official Press Release